PO4 and red algae

I've started having a small brush algae problem too and would like to
 try adding PO4 as well but none of the posts have indicated how much
 to add (I have a 10gal tank, but a standardized measurement would be
 ideal).  Can anyone suggest how much to put in the water?  As I have
access to a fair number of chemicals (other than enema treatments!)I
would also appreciate suggestions on the best form of PO4 to add.

Also, using phosphate to clear up algae seems counterintuitive (since I thought P is usually blamed for causing algae outbreaks), can
 someone educate me on why this should help the problem and not make
 it worse?

Thanks,

Kyle

--