Re: grey brush algae

On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 09:21:50PM -0600, Tom Wood
<tomwood2 at flash_net> wrote:

> Dave K: "Having an algae creep up that I haven't seen before.  It
> is looks grey under the water sort of bluish gray green out of the
> water.  It has thin branchy strands like wool.  Grows on any plant
> or part of plant that isn't growing fast, mainly anubias, java
> fern, and micro sword.  But also on older sections of wisteria,
> water sprites, and amazon swords."
>
> See:
>
> http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Algae/red-algae.html
>
> for a discussion on this algae. (At least it sounds like this one
> from your description)

If it's not like the one you see in the picture (and the picture
shows non-branching one), then I guess you have Staghorn. Also red
algae, very hard to get rid of. The coloring description you gave
matches exactly what I've seen, as is the branchy nature and objects
it'll grow on. Sometimes it has dark grey (almost black) coloring
under water, also. A picture will clear any confusion as it's very
distinguishable from others.
--

Vallo Kallaste
kalts at estpak_ee