Re: Sodium Hydroxide in local drinking water.

On Friday 22 November 2002 17:23, Chris wrote:

> It states that sodium hydroxide is used in oder to raise the PH and
> prevent corrosion, thereby lowering lead and copper levels. Fine and
> dandy, but this will have an effect of measuring Co2 via kh/ph? I think
> I already know the answer.

It will not effect your ability to measure CO2 with KH and pH.

> Also, is 10 ppm of nitrate sufficient for
> plants?

Yes, but be aware that you don't have nitrate in your water supply.  The 10
ppm cited in the water system report is the regulatory limit for nitrate in
drinking water and it's cited in ppm of *nitrogen*, not nitrate; 10 ppm of
nitrogen is equivalent to 44 ppm of nitrate, and that's how we usually
measure nitrate in aquariums.  10 ppm of nitrate is OK -- perhaps a bit high
-- but 10 ppm of nitrogen is far higher than you need or want.

> Also, I don't have a source of  K+ or P04. How about using small
> banana fragments? Just a shot in the dark.

No, you don't want rotting fruit in your tank.   Just go to the grocery store
and get some no-sodium salt substitute -- Morton Salt Substitute for
instance.  Check the label to make sure that it is potassium chloride.  Then
get some Fleet Enema.  That's a nice buffered phosphate solution.  If you
can't find Fleet then read the labels and find another enema that is
equivalent.  If you have questions you can always ask your pharmacist.

> Also the fertilizer I purchased called "Plant Gro" is specific for
> aquarium plants is 0.15-0-0. I've been reading that the addition of
> Nitrogen in general is a no-no.

Adding nitrogen is not a general no-no.  The plants must have it and if you
don't give it to them then they won't be healthy.  Sometimes fish food and
water changes provide enough nitrogen.  Sometimes they don't.

Roger Miller