Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V5 #438

I don't know what it is, but I see it once in a while, too, from my hygro
difformis!  Strange.

Since the little nodules look like bladders, I'm thinking that these things
are probably some kind of algae...don't some algal seaweeds have big float
bladders?  I used to see those on the So Cal beaches all the time when I was
growing up.

> Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 00:11:20 -0500 (EST)
> From: David Marshburn <marshbur at cs_unc.edu>
> Subject: Is this an algae or higher plant?
>
> I've had the following... thing... growing around in my tank, particularly
> out of the H. difformis.  It looks to have a little more structure than an
> algae, but I'm not sure.  It grows (usually) in a single long strand
> extending out into the open areas of the tank.  When I pull it out, it's
> embedded well into the stand of plants, however.  The strand has sort-of
> nodules maybe every half-inch to inch along its length.  I thought these
> nodules were tiny leaves at first.  I looked at them under a 10x loupe
> tonight, though, and they looked like small bladders or some kind of more
> generic node.  There's a (rather poor) picture here:
>
> http://www.cs.unc.edu/~marshbur/aquarium/2002-11-14/aquarium%20006.jpg
> (sorry, the digital camera didn't want to focus that close-in, I think)
>
> Any ideas what this might be?  I don't know that it looks particularly
> horrible in the tank, rather strange and different.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---