re: live Mussels

I was interested in using freshwater clams (they're available
in a nearby river) to handle greenwater a while back. But after
some research I ended up not doing it. I read that many species
of freshwater mussels reproduce by releasing zooplanktonic larvae
into the water column which then burrow into the slime layer
of fish. The fish responds by formed a white cyst around it and
its ends up looking like it has ick.

I don't know if this is true for all freshwater mussels but
I'd rather not take the chance.

Ghazanfar Ghori