The Miracle of Ultraviolet Light

I recently received a free UV sterilizer from the owner of a fish store that
didn't have a use for the device.  At any rate, I installed a new bulb and
connected the 25 watt inline unit to the output side of a canister filter.
Within 24 hours, the water was clearer than I had ever thought possible.  It
literally appeared as if I had installed brighter lights in the tank.  For
now, I leave it on full time.

In terms of dealing with the potential issue of depleted nutrients (from the
possible photo-reduction of compounds like Iron), I switched to
substrate-based fertilization.  At this point, the unparalleled clarity of
the water and the potential reduction in water-bourne parasites seems like a
pretty good thing.  However, like most new things, time will tell.  So far
so good.

Jack