Re: CO2 Regulators Vs Bobbin Flowmeter

Adam Shaw's local welding shop recommended for CO2
injetion:

> a pre-set regulator which brings the pressure down
> to around 250kPa
> (whatever that is in psi), and then use a 'bobbin flow
> meter' after that
> to control the flow of gas. The flow meter has an
> adjustment range
> between 1-15L/min.

A flow meter will do what a bubble counter does, give a
rough approximation of how much CO2 is getting into your
aquarium.  If it has an adjustment knob, then that part is
jsut another valve, as is the regulator and a metering
valve if you use one.  Bobbin meters are tapered tubes with
a bobbin inside;  the higher the flow rate the higher the
bobin in lifted the tube.  You can see one here:

http://www.welding.com.au/pages/ancilliary_equipment.htm

I imagine the stability of the system would depend on which
regulator and/or flow meter and/or metering valve you used,
and the quality of each.  Flow meters, in general, are
inherently more stable by design than other valves, but
they sure are easy to read.  I'm guessing that most are not
made for the minute flows that aquatic gardeners use.

Very high quality bobbin meters are used on medical
equipment to show the flow of oxygen.  How much you wanna
spend?

Fixed regulators are fine if they are fixed at a useful
value.  Doesn't Aqua-Medic/Aqualine sell a fixed regulator?
Their key benefit is that they don't vary so you don't ned
to fine tune after changing CO2 refills.  Their key
detraction is that they don't vary, so you can't fine tune
to get just the right balance of settings between pressure
level(regulator setting) and metering valve setting.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't get either type of
set up to work just fine for aquatic gardening.  I have a
$20 adjustable weldors' regulator that is as stabile as an
alter kocher's opinion.

Scott H.