Re: moss and liverwort names

Dear Tomoko,

Thanks for your replies, although they seem to
indicate the great confusion there is regarding moss
names in the hobby. If the plant in the photograph is
“Christmas Moss” like the “Christmas moss” shown in
Loh Kek Leong’s lovely website, then it is probably
(90% sure) a Vesicularia species (Thanks again Loh for
the sample).

The name Plagioheciacase although obviously incorrect
might have originated from the word Plagiotheciaceae;
this is a family of mosses in which Vesicularia is
sometimes placed (Other authorities usually place
Vesicularia in the Hypnaceae), which indicates that
somebody was on to something before, I believe, the
name got lost in the confusion.

The name Willow Moss should be reserved to Fontinalis
species, although not necessarily F. antipyretica.

In Europe it is hard to get to English Language
scientific keys or descriptions to tropical mosses in
Asia. I fail to understand why this is also a problem
in Asian countries, where mosses have been reared for
centuries in your beautiful moss gardens, and with
your obvious great interest in your flora. Or is it
maybe that Asian aquatic gardeners are interested in
the art rather than the science? Beautiful art - I
must agree.

The “South America” bit may (or may not) indicate that
the “Vesicularia” (if it is a Vesicularia?) is of
South American origin, so a key to that region’s
mosses would then be needed!!

Some time ago James Purchase was trying to obtain
samples of aquatic moss for proper identification by a
qualified bryologist. I hope he has had some luck. We
would like to hear from you again James if you have
some news.

Re: Pellia endiviifolia/ P. endiviaefolia

Actually I wanted to know if these two names referred
to the same species. I understand Tropica are also
using the second name for the liverwort (not moss)
they are selling. From your short description I am led
to believe that the two names refer to the same
species:
The site  http://www.aquaristik.de/artikel/suss50.htm
describes and depicts P. endiviifolia as a new
aquarium plant.
The website
http://bryophytes.plant.siu.edu/pellia.html  which is
part of a “worldwide monograph of the simple thalloid
liverwort suborder Pelliineae” the only name used is
Pellia endiviifolia, although the species has many
varieties including var. fluitans. Sound interesting –
possibly the aquarium variety?

Thanks for the information re Riccardia
chamedryfol(l)ia, (I believe it is one l). It is not
restricted to East Europe, and its habitat is not
usually submerged (see
http://home.clara.net/adhale/bryos/duneslak.htm), but
like P. endiviifolia It may have some aquatic variety.
Do you have a photograph we can see? Pictures I’m sure
you would agree are better than words or names…I could
not find anything on the web.

Does your “Japanese plant ID book ("Water picture book
to enjoy with Aquarium" by Pisces.)” mention or
describe other aquatic mosses or liverworts? I am
obviously very interested in the subject.

Thanks again

Regards

Stephan
Malta