Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V5 #426

> Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 08:24:37 -0500
> From: "James Purchase" <jppurchase at rogers_com>
> Subject: Field Microscope
>
> Does anyone have any experience with (portable) field microscopes?

I use and recommend a simple hand lens(like the 10-20X).
This is all you'd need to ID floral parts.

If you are going to spend the $$ on a scope get a good one for home. Keep it
covered and be very careful not to get any water on the stage or the glass.
Cover it in a cool dry place when not in use.

If you need to see something small, simply take it back in a small jar back
with you to your home etc. That's the nice thing about small tiny things you
need to use a scope for, they are small and easy to collect.

Now you'll need a Plant Anatomy book next:) Esau's book although dated is
still quite good for this. For Algae, Smith's old work is still useful.

We have a field scope but no one uses it. We just take stuff back to the lab
etc. Some Lugol's will also help determine a few things also (Presence
absence of starch etc) and is a good preservative for diatoms and other
algae.

Regards,
Tom Barr