Field Microscope

Does anyone have any experience with (portable) field microscopes? I would
like to have something that I could throw into a backpack which would enable
me to view things in situ close up. But I don't want "a toy" and the optical
quality of the instrument is important to me. I have several B&L Hastings
Triplet loupes (7X, 10) and while their optical quality is excellent and
they are very convenient, sometimes they just aren't powerful enough.

I have been told that the Richardson Field Microscope might be what I am
looking for. Apparently there are a couple of models and I have found
sources for two of them.

RFM-1
http://www.bio-microtech.com/products/rfm/rfmhome.htm
RFM-2
http://www.emsdiasum.com/ems/magnifier/field_microscope.htm

Has anyone ever used (or owned) one of these? I'd be interested in hearing
about your experiences with it.

Thanks.

James Purchase
Toronto