Fuzzy Surface Algae.... Fe overload???

Hi!

I've only recently been having a really bad algae problem in my 20G planted
tank. Within the past 3-4 months the surface will become oily, and this
'oil' will *poof* become a really think green fuzz that completely cuts off
surface agitation, and light. It is ugly! The tank in question has been
cycled now for almost 2 years. I do all weekly maintainace as I always have.
The fish load is constant, a few small tetras, serpae and the such. The
water parameters are all good, 0 nitrate, 0 nitrite, and 0 ammonia. I have
been searching everywhere on the net, but there is no info on this type of
algae. It is becoming such a nuisance. I skim the surface to remove it, but
it quickly returns.

The only info I could find was that it was related to high levels of Iron. I
live in an area where the water system is VERY old. Corroded lead, and other
nasty type pipes are being slowly replaced by the government. I can't test
for iron. I stopped adding Iron supplements to my tank, but the problem
persists. One interesting note, I have some plants that turn red when there
is sufficient Iron and lighting. Also, the water has dramatically changed in
the past 5 yrs of my fishkeeping. At first our tap water was hard, and had a
neutral pH. So hard my test kit measured the max KH and GH. Within the past
6 months the tap water has become extremely soft, with pH of about 5!!!! It
happened overnight it seems, I lost 2 large lionhead goldfish after a water
change. I learned after that they died from acidosis!
As if this was not bad enough, my tanks now have this unsightly nuisance!
ARGGGGG. I have made several requests to the municipality, but the seem
totally baffled that anyone is interested in the water parameters. Hmph,
good thing this is only for aquarium use.
Sorry about going on, and on..... I hope that someone can help me!!

Thanks,
Sherri