Re: Aquamedic CO2

> I have an Aqua Medic CO2 reactor, Type 500.  I'm not sure I'm using it
> correctly, and I am afraid of killing my fish.

These are those spiral types?

> I am pushing water through the reactor with a Power Head 402.  Unless I use a
> lot of CO2 pressure, the water pressure from the Power Head will not only
> prevent CO2 from reaching the reactor, but it will even force water up my CO2
> tube, back toward the regulator and cylinder.

Something's not right. You should not have to apply this kind of pressure.

> It takes significant CO2
> pressure to overcome this water pressure created by the pump, and allow CO2 to
> reach the reactor.  If I unplug the power head, and the water pressure is
> released, the CO2 rushes through to the reactor unhindered, in massive, unsafe
> quantities.

I agree it's a Murphy's law waiting to happen.

> I am concerned that in the event of a power outage or pump failure, I'll pour
> excessive CO2 in the tank and kill all my fish due to lack of oxygen.  For
> this reason, I am considering just using a ceramic diffuser, which has worked
> well for me.
> Am I doing something wrong?  Is my reactor set up improperly?  If not, is this
> problem peculiar to the Aqua Medic Type 500, and not a problem with other
> reactors?

> I just ordered a reactor for another tank from Tom Barr, a
> hang-on-the-back cylinder model, and I am wondering if I will have the same
> issue with that.

No, the more water flow you add to the reactors I make the better they run
as rule(don't try and add 1000GPH pump to a small reactor etc but within
reason.)
They have no backpressure in the gas intake. So it take the min amount of
Gas pressure to run.

These were designed with DIY yeast folks in mind so that min pressure can be
used and no water will backflow into the brew or get sucked into the the
tank etc(use a rigid juice bottle etc to prevent that).

A decent CO2 reactor generally will turnover the tank 2-3 x an hour but this
can be less on very large tanks or less densely planted tanks etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr