Aqua Medic CO2 reactor -- I am afraid of killing my fish

    I have an Aqua Medic CO2 reactor, Type 500.  I'm not sure I'm using it
correctly, and I am afraid of killing my fish.

    I am pushing water through the reactor with a Power Head 402.  Unless I
use a lot of CO2 pressure, the water pressure from the Power Head will not
only prevent CO2 from reaching the reactor, but it will even force water up
my CO2 tube, back toward the regulator and cylinder.  It takes significant
CO2 pressure to overcome this water pressure created by the pump, and allow
CO2 to reach the reactor.  If I unplug the power head, and the water pressure
is released, the CO2 rushes through to the reactor unhindered, in massive,
unsafe quantities.

    I am concerned that in the event of a power outage or pump failure, I'll
pour excessive CO2 in the tank and kill all my fish due to lack of oxygen.
For this reason, I am considering just using a ceramic diffuser, which has
worked well for me.

    Am I doing something wrong?  Is my reactor set up improperly?  If not, is
this problem peculiar to the Aqua Medic Type 500, and not a problem with
other reactors?  I just ordered a reactor for another tank from Tom Barr, a
hang-on-the-back cylinder model, and I am wondering if I will have the same
issue with that.

    Thanks for your help.

David S. Brown

multipart/alternative