Re: lighting -- or - color vs intensity

I'm sure Giancarlo knows what he meant when he said:

> I wouldn't throw it out, I have a 10000K along with
two
> 6700K bulbs and am
> happy with it. I like the cooler tones but I wouldn't
use
> a 10000K on it's
> own. That's a lot of light!

But it might be confusing to the the newer hobbyists.  It
sounds like he's saying that, in general, a bulb rated with
a higher color temperature gives off more light.  The
amount of light has no direct relationship to the average
value of the spectrum or the color temperature.  How much
light is one thing, what parts of the spectrum make up that
light is another.  A blue bulb can be dimmer than a red
bulb and vice versa.

While it's true that photons at the blue end of the
spectrum have a higher energy level than ones at the red
end, the energy level of the photons doesn't translate into
light intensity.  For that you have to know how many
photons or an ersatz measurement, lumens.

And of course, if you can't get you hands on lumens, then
watts is a handy (albeit poor) ersatz for lumens.

Scott H.