Re: Azolla, BGA's

> On this note, I have some Azolla fern in my tank (yes, I actually
> like it and duckweed, I'm a botanist!).  I've gotten to wondering if
> the fact that it has symbiotic cyanobacteria in its cells could
> contribute to cyanobacteria outbreaks (e.g. the leaf gets damaged or
> the plant dies and the cyanobacteria heads out on its own).  Anyone
> have knowledge about this (hard data's great but I'll take
> anecdotes too!)?  If people think Azolla could contribute to
> outbreaks then I'll probably get rid of it.
>

> - --
> Kyle Williams

You can try the antibiotics if you wish.
Eythromyacin is the most commonly used for BGA.

 Do a blackout for 3 days and make sure no light gets in. Clean the tank
etc, do a water change, add a small amount of KNO3, perhaps 1/3 or 1/4 of a
teaspoon of KNO3, you can measure a small exact amount out on a scale at
school also. But the above should be accurate to about 6-7ppm of NO3.
Cover the tank and turn out the light completely for 3 days. Water change
then add KNO3 back and remember to keep up on the NO3.

No, the Anabeana present in Azolla has no bearing on Oscillitoria presence.
Most BGA's are the first atuotrophes that colonize after a disturbance.
There are spores floating in the air. These land in our tanks. Unless you
plan on complete sterilization and maintenance.......it's pretty pointless
and a great hassle.
Anabeana(most) are diazeotroph N2 splitters. The species/strain of
Oscillitoria that is present in our tanks is not, although there are strains
within that group that are N2 fixers.

The nutrient needs of bacteria sized algae are extremely small. It's is
practically impossible to "starve" them unless a special chamber is made and
extreme measures are taken. They grow on soils also but desert or sand etc
where there is virtually non nutrients and few plants can exist or following
a fire, volcanic eruptions etc. Takes about 10-30 days for them to appear.
Regards,
Tom Barr