phosphate buffers and planted tanks

Ok--
I've scoured the web, including the archives, and I
can't find a definitive answer.

Can anyone tell me if phosphate buffers are
discouraged in planted tanks only because they can
contribute to algae growth or for other reasons?

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals' website says that they can
reduce the uptake of other nutrients, but I couldn't
find any other source to corroborate (especially since
I don't use theirs-- I use Seachem Equilibrium).
(http://www.aquariumpharm.com/faq/aquarium/properph.htm)
Thanks,
Erin