Re: Nutrients vs. algae

BC,

         Excess of certain nutrients have a negative impact on the
absorbtion and assimilation of other nutrients. I think that Diana
Walstad's "Ecology of the planted aquarium" may have something on the
subject. There is more material on this subject on the net..

         Some time ago I found that there was > 5ppm of PO4 in one tank,
adding KNO3 to that tank brought down the phosphate levels.. and a spurt of
growth, specially the sword plants.
E. "Rose" emersed with rich red leaves.

         Excess dosing probably will result in heavy growth.. which pleases
me..
but limiting growth would be best in the interest of mantaining the
aquascape. The question is whether we want a low maintanance aquascaped
tank or an underwater forest.

Raj, vu2zap
Bangalore, South INDIA.