Re:PO4

> Thanks for sharing your experience.
>
> Maybe the P limitation theory can be disproved.

Well that's happened although not a formal proof. But the idea that it
causes algae was never a formal proof to start with.
In the _real_ world of nature, when plant mass exceeds around 30-50% of a
lake or pond, you get complete plant dominance.
If nothing else is growing there and you add nutrients then algae will
appear.

Most bodies of water do NOT possess 30-50% of plant mass like our tanks
generally do. Those that do, have no algae to speak of.

> BC

I'm publishing a paper sometime early next year hopefully to this effect
specifically on small tank chambers. It is more general that limitation of
P, it includes all nutrients, e.g. no nutrient is limited.
I'm also measuring both attached epiphetic and planktonic algae
quantitatively that will prove quite useful in studying lake ecology and
Limnology in the future.

If nutrient limitation of algae growth when plants are present exist, then
removing the limitation should yield increased algae growth.

If it doesn't, then something else beside nutrient availability is
controlling algae growth. Some other form of competition exist beside
nutrient resource competition.

Regards,
Tom Barr