Fluorex Lights

Hi everyone, I posted this topic on 2 other groups and got 0 replies.
Perhaps this may be of no interest here either but I'll give it a try as I
was expecting some interest at least.

While I was at HomeDepot getting some ballasts I found a fixture called
"65Watt Fluorex Fluorescent Outdoor Floodlight". If you go to
www.homedepot.com and search for SKU# 343177 you can see it. It's a compact
fluorescent bulb and water proof fixture. The price was just under $30 so I
figured it was probably a 3000K bulb etc... etc.... I whent home and looked
it up and here is a link to the manufacturer:
http://www.lightsofamerica.com/products/Security1.htm (model 9027)

To my surprise this bulb is rated at 65000K color temp and 8000+ lumens. I
then found the same light being marketed on eBay as a 500W hydroponics grow
light with a "bargain" starting bid of $45 and $14 shipping!! I've also seen
others sell it for $75+!! (Just search for Fluorex on eBay)

So has anyone tried these over a tank yet? The fixture is small enough to
probably light up a 10gallon tank with 65W!! You can probably hang it from
the ceiling too for open tanks. I think for $30 I'll just pick one up next
time I'm there and find a use for it at home. They had one on display and it
is very bright! The price is great if indeed they can be used for planted
tanks.

Giancarlo Podio