Re: Pellia

>Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 13:11:40 -0700
>From: "Rhonda Wilson" <gupp at naturalaquariums_com>
>Subject: Re: Pellia
>
>The description of Pellia really sounds like something I've had growing
>in one of my tanks for a number of years, that I've been trying to find
>out what it is. Is this what it looks like?
>
>http://naturalaquariums.com/plants/liverwort.html
>
>Do you have any more info or photos?
>
>Thanks, Rhonda

I suspect that you have Java fern (Microsorum pteropus) growing as
though it were a gametophyte.  Java fern does that when light is low,
or nutrients are low.  It looks like narrow wrinkled ribbons.  I have
seen it change back over to the familiar sporophyte form when I put
in new fluorescent bulbs.
--
  Paul Krombholz in central Mississippi, having warm, sunny, fall weather.