Re: Scales & Balances (was APD V5 #383)

Hello James,

To keep their accuracy, electronic (digital) balances have to be
calibrated frequently. An electronic analytical balance has to be
calibrated at least daily. If you have a "standard weight" it's not much
of a chore, but a chore nevertheless. If you are NOT doing many
weighings each day, the convenience of an electronic balance is not such
an advantage.

A mechanical balance generally holds its calibration forever. It takes a
bit longer to weigh something on it, but if you average only 1 or 2
wighings a day, it just does not matter.

You probably need only 0.1 g accuracy, BUT a "0.1 g sensitivity" does
NOT guarantee you a 0.1 g accuracy! With a 0.01 g sensitivity on a
reasonable quality mechanical balance (Ohaus is such a brand) you are
fairly certain of 0.1 g accuracy.

Thus I would recommend the 310 g capacity Ohaus balance. (I own one.) It
will be suitable for 99.9 % of a hobbyist's requirements!

Best,

George