Waiting to dose Nitrates

> Why is it recommended that you add nitrates the day after a water change?
I> remember being told to add everything else the same day but the nitrates
the> following day.> > Daphne in Atlanta

**Mainly to drive them low as possible before adding NO3 back.If the NO3 goes
near zero for a day or less that's fine.Just not longer.The idea behind this
is simple.Adding all the PO4, K, CO2 etc from fresh tap water, dosing etc
drives thisNO3 very low. It purges your tank of NO3.Then the plants really go
after the NH4 if there's any.The next day you lift this limiting nutrient and
the plants are not stuntedat all but your tank is nice a clean and the algae
really seem to hate thispattern.The NH4 may be the reason, the water change
itself etc. Not sure why but itdoes seem to work. Gives a better starting
point and estimation for whatyour tank's NO3 will be as you dose 2-3x a week
with KNO3.
Regards, Tom Barr

 I'm keeping my Nitrates at about 10-20 ppm (I'm bad at determining color
shades).
Dropping down to the zero mark, then increasing the nitrates.....Will this be
too shocking for the fish?How fast should I increase my nitrates?Should this
be done gradually, reaching the desired nitrate range (peaking) at the end of
the week (next water change)?Or, should I dose my nitrates using 1 dose 24hrs
after the water change?

Thank you
Neight Goetz