AGA contest/hiding equipment

So, I notice that many entries (from previous years) have negative
comments about disguising the equipment in the tank.  How do folks usually
go about this?  My heater is mostly behind my Rotala marcrandra, and
the filter box area is behind some black cloth backing, but the filter
pipe is noticeably visable.  A bushy, black mustache, some dark sunglasses
and fedora might be cute, but what else could I do?  I definitely have
problems growing things right in front of the filter due to 1) the filter
uptake, and 2) the strong filter out-flow.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
-David