RE: Cryptic Advice

>Hi All,
>

>As you may recall, I am having trouble growing crypts in my tanks. 3 tanks
>in the house have crypts: a 29G with 30W of light, a 10 gal with 30W of
>light, and a 72 gal with 220 W of light. In all three tanks, the crypts
>either grow very slowly (if at all), or grow 3 leaves and then melt.
>

>Our water here in Portland, OR is very soft; someone in the fish club coined
>the term "liquid silk". In two of the tanks I add Seachem's Equilibrium to
>bring up the GH to around 5; in the big tank, I also bring the KH to around
>5 with baking soda. Without intervention KH and GH are around 1.5-2.5,
>depending on the time of year.
>

>I have recently been given two possible causes for the failure of my crypts
>to grow. The first is, crypts don't like acidic water. The pH in the tanks
>ranges from 6.6 to 7.4, so I don't think that is it, but I was wondering if
>anyone would like to comment on the pH requirements of crypts?
>

>The second theory is that crpts don't like large water changes. Water
>changes range from 20% every 10 or so days in the 10 gallon tank, to 75%
>weekly in the 72 gallon. Any comments on this theory?
>

>I'd sure like to grow crypts!
>

>- -Rachel

Rachel, I live in Portland also and have no problem growing Crypts in my 29
gallon tank.  Now I don't have many in there but they pretty much grow like
weeds.  And I only have 36 watts on the tank.  I'm wondering if you are
lacking either a micro or Macro nutrient??  What are your Nitrate and
Phosphate values?  Do you add trace elements?  Do you add Iron?

Semper Fi