Re: Cory's algae

Definately Cladophora. Something that has the common name of Green haystack
algae(GHA).
It'll also grow on bits of flourite etc. It's a bit tough to get rid out.

I've found that high densities of Amano's will eat it. SAE's will grind on
it some, Rosey barbs are effective also.

To get rid of it on gravel, a substrate disturber like a cory cat, barbs,
anything that will pick and move the substrate around some will help.

In Riccia, moss etc, you need to trim it all out and toss the batch but save
a few cleaned pieces to start with again.
It's not too bad on the vascular plants but it's annoying.

I've gone through with tweezers and remove each piece by hand. It's much
better to let the shrimps do the work. Some tanks I cannot grow it.
Not sure what the requirements are for it but it does well with plants for
very long periods.
I've overdosed iron etc 2x what the plants can possibly use but never got
this or thread when the rest of the nutrients were in order. PO4 is not it.
I think it's lack of something or once it's induced or spores turn
vegetative(due to NH4 most likely is my bet if it's the presence of
something).

The algae balls, another Cladophora species turned sexual and the spores
settled on many pieces of gravel, pumps, and other equipment(no plants
though) and started to grow tufts.
From these tufts would form the balls.

This algae is a different species and comparing one to another is a jump but
at the species level it's more reasonable to assume this than at the class,
genus or order levels etc.

They are pretty good at living on low light also. You cannot kill them
effectively by blackout. Try it with an algae ball sometime.

It's weird/odd that the shrimps eat this but not the balls.

Regards,
Tom Barr