Correction: Re: UV-B, Anthocyanins and high kelvin bulbs

> Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 15:14:06 +0200
> From: "Daniel Larsson" <defdac at hotmail_com>
> Subject: Re: UV-B, Anthocyanins and high kelvin bulbs
>
> Oops. Sorry. Blue light (longer wave length) has *less*
> energy than red light (shorter wave length). The damping
> effect from the water is greater on shorter wave lengths.
> (That's why the water gets more blue at greater depths)

...Quite the opposite. Blue light has a wavelength of about 450nm and
red is more like 670 nm -- that is, much longer.

The energy per photon is *higher* in blue light than in red. Deeper
water gets blue because water absorbs very slightly more in the red end
of the spectrum. There is little direct relationship, here, between
energy and absorption.

Just felt that needed straightening out before it got into aquarium
mythology. :-)

Wright

--

"The main political divide of our time is between those who trust
   the state and those who do not." -- Alberto Mingardi

                  http://www.sfbaka.net/