Quarantining Fish

> [Tom Wood lists problems with various q-tank options]

You left off one option: keeping a spare filter on your main tank.
The when you buy new fish just put the cycled sponge (HOB filter,
whatever) on the q-tank.  Viola, cycled quarantine tank.

I've been doing this for a couple of years now.  No problems.  No
worries about ammonia, no potentially sick fish in my main tank.

This is especially important in a reef tank, where the fish are
much more expensive, and there's almost no main-tank treatment
options.

-Eric