Re: What's the dirt on dirt?

Why bother? There is no such thing as generic 'dirt' which is why controlled
methods using known materials were developed. 'Dirt' doesn't always work. I
can't use -any- local 'dirt' because it is so massively alkaline because of
the underlying (6 feet to 1/2") limestone foundation below. I don't want to
fight that, I want a system that works. A few bags of blasting grit and a
package or two of laterite and I'm done. "Oh, but dirt is natural and we all
want natural systems in our aquariums." Puh. No, we don't. We want a highly
controllable method that gives favor to the plants, discourages all other
plantworld lifeforms, looks good, and tolerates a few fish.

TW