Re: Re: starving otocinclus

Dear Susi,
Thanks for the info-- I do have a gigantic piece of
driftwood (relative to tank and fish size) in there,
and it's one of his favorite spots. I stuck a rock
with a little algae in there that someone else
suggested (Eric, I think) I grow in a Tupperware by
the window, and I've noticed it's less covered now.
Hopefully it's not the 4+ mollusk castaways eating it
all. He's still pretty emaciated, but he's been less
active during this day (he's seemed to always be awake
since this mess began) and doesn't look any worse, so
I'm hoping he's returning to his natural nocturnalism.
(Is that a word?!) Regarding the brown algae
preference, you're probably right, but I've seen him
eat green hair algae before, so he's a mystery, this
one.

With regards to the bioload, it's only a 6-gal with 5
Rasbora heteromorpha, 1 supposedly Dwarf gourami (he's
3.5" long!!) and the oto. There's a relatively low
plant load right now (4 small water sprites that
refuse to get tall, 1 anubias nana, 1 crypt wendtii),
which I will remedy as soon as I find employment (!).
I am diligent about siphoning, so my water chemistry
stays stable and healthy, all in all.

Since there's so little for the one little oto to eat,
are you sure a companion or two would be the best
thing? I'm fairly new to fishkeeping, so I tend to err
on the side of caution-- what does anybody else think?

And I don't think I can count on getting an oto that
will eat prepackaged food, since this one is hell bent
on the real thing, baby!

Thanks for all the input.
Erin