Brew Mix for Plants

http://finance.yahoo.com

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 07:28:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: "S. Hieber" <shieber at yahoo_com>
Subject: Re: ?

Rachel Sandage asked:

&gt; . . .at Bill's Tavern (Foggy Notion Weissbier for me, 2x4 Stout
for
&gt; the
&gt; spouse) I was looking at the compressed gas tanks in the brew
room.
&gt; One was
&gt; labeled &#34;Brew Mix - CO2 &amp; Nitrogen&#34; Now, I don't know
what the ration
&gt; of CO2
&gt; to N is, or what else might be in there, but let's assume it is
pure
&gt; CO2 and
&gt; N. What about bubbling that in, instead of pure CO2  and KNO3?
What
&gt; would a
&gt; good CO2:N ratio be? Would the N form nasty compounds?

Take a deep breath and hold it.  That was mostly nitrogen.  Pretty
harmless although not only prevalent but preponderant in the
atmosphere.  It's often used as a displacement for air where the
presence of oxygen is undesirable.  I don't know why the brewers use it
but their supplier should be able to say what the ratio is.

And you just reminded me, I haven't had a beer in weeks.  Gotta go!

Scott H.
Brewers use nitrogen because it is a smaller moicule than co2.  Therfore it
gives a much smother carbonation than co2.  Most beers you buy are co2
carbonated...and example of nitrogen is guiness from a can or from a tap....
They sometimes mix them to get the desired effect...usually there are
separeate tanks with a mixing thingy that the brewer can adjust...never seen
it premixed.