Re: Scott H algae sample -- or 3,740 web pages can't be wrong

Dave Gomberg, who selfishly volunteered to face the green stuff up
close, said:

> Scott H's algae sample strongly resembled parts of Daphne's, except
> that
> Scott's filaments lacked the needle-like side extensions (diatoms??)
> that
> Daphne's had.  Scott's cells (filament septa) were about 1mm long.
> Anyone
> want to take a crack at genus?

Thanks Dave.

Were the filaments branching?  Like that fact would help me know what
it is :-  There's a couple of drawings in Prescott that to me
definitely look like drawings of algae.

Prescott says of Clad:

numerous speices in this genus. . .differentiated by size, habit of
branching, and over-all thallus form [sh: body shape?].  The cell walls
are often thick and lamellate [sh" plated or plate-like?].
Chloroplasts are disclike thickenings interconnected to form a mesh
network and there are many pyrenoids.  Although the habit is arbuscular
[sh: shrublike or treelike?], plants which [sic] winter over or which
become wave-washed often develop irregular habits of branching and in
many instances intergrade with branched species of rhizoclonium. [sh:
aren't you jealous?] Perhaps the most characteristic habit of
freshwater Cladophora is flowing water, espeicially on dams and
waterfalls.

With that and Dave's description, and the PAM picture of Clado balls,
is anyone any closer to an ID?

Dave, did the stuff look like any of these:

Here's pic of Cladophora glomerata
http://vis-pc.plantbio.ohiou.edu/algaeimage/pages/Cladophora.html

and here
http://protist.i.hosei.ac.jp/PDB/Images/Chlorophyta/Cladophora/index.html

and also these
http://protist.i.hosei.ac.jp/PDB/Images/Chlorophyta/Cladophora/sp_1d.html

and this one might have those side filaments I think Dave mentioned for
Daphne's algae:
http://protist.i.hosei.ac.jp/PDB/Images/Chlorophyta/Cladophora/sp_1d.html

and here's a nice concise description:
http://www.publicbookshelf.com/public_html/Methods_in_Plant_Histology/cladophora_db.html

and then there is this pic which is faithful to Prescott's drawing,
imo:
http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/images/130/Chlorophyta/Cladophora/Cladophora_100x_MC.html

and lastly, to answer the question we have all been asking:
http://people.westminstercollege.edu/faculty/tharrison/emigration/cladophora.htm#What%20is%20Cladophora?

regards,
Scott H.
who like Daphne, has many more samples for anyone that needs one ;-)