Re: Lighting advice

Dan wrote:

My first post here... I'm planning a 30 gal X-High assorted community
tank that I hope to set up by October, and I have some pieces already in
place.  I feel a bunch of questions coming on.  Let me lead off with
this one:

I have a glass strip cover with a dual fluorescent strip and, keeping in
mind that my aquarium is 24 inches deep and I would like to grow a
roster of plants including melon swords, ambulia, and valisneria   I
definitely need some new bulbs for this older dual strip and I'm
considering my options.  I've read good things about Triton lamps and
other lamps like Vita-Life bulbs.  Would I be wise to try two different
bulbs in my dual strip to vary the quality of light or is that not my
best bet?

-------

You have no chance of getting the light levels you want by using that
fixture. What you need is a 55 watt compact fluorescent. Your current
fixture only produces about 1/4 the light of the PC. It doesn't matter
much what lamp you use. Even with a 55 watt PC  I wouldn't try to grow
very light demanding plants but the majority of plants will do well.

Wayne