New Titanium Heaters?

As I mentioned in another message, I had a disaster a week ago when a
heater kept coming on in spite of the temp in that aquarium getting to what
I suspect may have been 100 or so (the thermometer on the tank only goes to
86 and topping with a gallon cold well water, floating ice, etc., didn't
bring the water down to where the temp showed on the thermometer, it took a
50% water change with water probably about 70 to bring it down).  I lost 12
of 15 fish in that 20 gallon tank.  The heater was a Tronic which I got
because I thought the electronic heater was less likely to do exactly this
than the ones with magnetic switches in them.  I realize nothing is
fool-proof, but since I'm looking for a different heater for the tank when
I set it up again, does anyone have any experience with/opinions about the
new small titanium heaters?

By the way, if you want to kill fuzz algae, take all the plants you care
about and the fish out of the aquarium and raise the temp to over 100 for
long enough, and you can cook it.

Ellen O'Connell
Parker, CO
mailto:oconnel4 at ix_netcom.com