Re: KH Drop

Jason,

It could possibly be the Profile causing the drop in alkalinity.  Someone
on the list, I think it was Wayne, had this same problem a few months ago
and it was traced to the Profile substrate.  Nitrates also appeared along
with the KH/pH drop.  Have you tested the nitrate level in the tank?

I would look to the substrate before suspecting the driftwood unless the
wood's been soaked in a strong acid at some point.  I suppose it's
possible, but IMHO, it would take a tremendous amount of fungal activity to
drop the KH from 11 to 4 degrees in 4 days.
--
Chuck Huffine
Knoxville, Tennessee