Re: KH Drop

On Friday 16 August 2002 01:48, Jason wrote:

> My question
> is, could it be the driftwood that is causing the KH drop?

It might be.  I think there are a few instances where it's happened.  In the
cases I recall the aquarium water was kept at a pretty low pH and that isn't
the case in your tank.  There are fungi that attack wood and produce strong
acids as a byproduct, but I don't know for sure that any of those fungi are
aquatic.  You probably would not see a fungus until it went into a
reproductive mode.

Frequent partial water changes might be the best way for you to maintain the
KH.  Your tank water KH will always be variable and lower than your tap water
KH.

Roger Miller