KH Drop

Thanks for the response.. Just a few questions,
If adding CO2 lowers your KH, then those tables
showing the relationship between pH-KH-CO2 don't
really make a whole lot of sense. I was under the
impression that the KH remains stable and pH drops as
you add CO2.  Is that not right?? Also, if I leave the
water out of the tank to let the CO2 escape, isn't the
damage already done as far as reducing the alkalinity
of this particular water? Without adding more calcium
buffers, the KH will still be low regardless of the
amount of CO2 right?
  -J

>>Paul Krombholz wrote:
You changed the substrate, added driftwood, and you
started adding
DIY CO2.  Of the three changes, I think the CO2
additions would have
the greatest effect on lowering the KH.  KH is a
measure of
alkalinity, and the test is done by adding acid until
the pH drops to
around 4.2.  The test kit solution has a color
indicator dye that
changes color at around 4.2. The more acid you have to
add, the
higher the alkalinity.   By adding CO2, you add
carbonic acid, a weak
acid which lowers the pH, and, of course, also lowers
the alkalinity.
Try taking a cup or two of your tank water and let it
stand for 24
hours, which should be long enough for the excess CO2
to escape into
the atmosphere.  Then check the pH and KH.  Both
readings should be
higher.  If they are not, then the source of the acid
is either the
Profile or the driftwood, or both.
--
Paul Krombholz in well-watered central Mississippi,
with