Flourescent Lighting Options?

I attempted to send this message earlier, but I don't think it went through.
My apologies if this is a duplicate post.

Recently I've been contemplating building my own hood to go over the top of
2 side by side 10 gallon aquariums. I've been doing some reading on the
subject and see a lot of people designing their own lighting systems from
scratch, including ballasts, lights, reflectors etc.

Now, I am by no means a lighting expert (I consider my decision to purchase
a Chroma 65 bulb for one of my tanks my greatest lighting accomplishment)
but why wouldn't it be possible to buy one of the pre-built kitchen style or
garage style lighting systems and just put in good bulbs?

Am I being naïve?

Thanks in advance,
David