Re: Ghost Shrimp

Sam asked:
>I was thinking about dumping 100 ghost shrimp into my 75 gallon tank >to
>help
>take care of my algae problems. Has anyone ever put in this many? >There's
>plenty of hiding places for the shrimp so I'm hoping most survive the
>onslaught of my bluegills and cichlids.

Their survival depends on the size of the mouth of the largest fish in the
tank. Sounds like a potential shrimp cocktail special treat for those fish!
I would remove all potential predators to give them half a chance. Most
importantly, I would seek out the environmental or water quality imbalance
that is causing the algae to proliferate. Even a hundred shrimp may not be
able to keep up with production. Then there is a chance that they may not be
able to eat it, depending on species (both algae and shrimp).

Eric