Cheap substrate

>Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 21:56:30 -0700
>From: "Michael Gerhardt" <breadmon at hotmail_com>
>Subject: cheap substrate?
>

>Where can I get a cheap substrate for planted tanks?
>Flourite is crazy expensive.  There has to be a cheaper way.  I have seen
>pond stores pot their plants in something that looks like baseball field
>dirt.  Would this work in an aquarium?
>Anybody?

   The soil you are seeing is either Profile, Turface, or Shultz Aquatic
soil.  It is basically a baked clay product. It is lighter in weight than
Flourite and doesn't provide the benefits of Flourite.  It will work
though.  As will small gravel/large sand.

   Where do you live and how big of a tank are we talking about here?  IMHO
substrate is not one of those places to pinch pennies.  I have found as
have many others ours in not the cheapest hobby in the world.

Semper Fi