SAE beats dropsy?!

I have an SAE that I was sure had dropsy.  It's scales
were like a pinecone and there were a few red streaks.
 I was all ready to net it out and euthanize it when I
found that the scales were back to normal and the red
streaks diminished.  Couldn't have been dropsy I
guess, because I don't think there's a cure for that.
What else could it have been?  I don't know why it
would have been sick in the first place anyway because
the fish in my tank are quite healthy.  Weird.  Any
ideas?

Thanks, Cavan