CO2 canister refills

Interested in others experience/opinions of actual risk of damage to
regulator and/or needle valves by getting contaminated "exchange" canister
rather than having one's own filled. I had been getting mine refilled to
avoid risk to my system, especially since I run 12 + tanks off one canister
--lot of needle valves to have to replace. Recently I am getting lot of
resistance by gas co to fill while I wait or even on the same day.
TIA
June