Will sword plant grow as terrestrial?

Not emersed with its roots in the water, but planted in a pot?  My red
sword plant (not sure which variety) has another flower stalk.  It is
sticking up 2 feet out of the hood, with big white flowers.  The plantlet
at the end of the stalk has nice round red leaves, and has not started
forming roots yet.  If I shove the stalk back into the tank, several but
not all of the nodes will root and make new plants.  I thought I might
pin it down in some potting soil and try air-layering it.  Does it have
a chance, or do the roots really need to be in the water?  Thanks.

Best regards,
Bob