Tips on planted aquaria startup

In the next month or so I'll be moving into a place where I'll actually
have space for a 50 gallon aquarium.  Thus, I'm looking for advice on
good practices to use when starting up a new, planted tank, i.e. those
things you should do to avoid big algae problems while trying to cycle a
tank.

Having only ever started up two small planted aquaria (a 10 gallon and a
15 gallon tank), I'm sure there are mistakes I made that would have been
serious problems with say a 50 gallon tank.  Also, I've seen the LFS
give terrible advice to a friend of mine when he started his 30 gallon
planted aquaria. (such as don't add any plants until the fish have
cycled the tank!)

What advice exactly am I looking for?  Answers to the following and any
other advice you might have as well:

--If a tank has good or strong lighting (2 to 4 watts per gallon) is it
a good idea to only run the lights for short period of time during the
first few weeks.

--Is it best to introduce the plants to the aquaria for a few weeks
before you add any fish?

--Is it a good idea to start CO2 fertilization from the start, or should
one wait a week  for the plants to start to root.

--While root tablets are a good way to avoid putting too many nutriants
in the water column, should liquid fertilizers be used on a new tank, or
held off until later?

--Should partial water changes be done from the start, or should one
wait until the tank has cycled?

Thanks for your help!

Rich Schiek
Albuquerque, New Mexico