Ballasts for flourescent lights

Hello Folks:
     How does a ballast "know" if it is driving a
florescent tube or compact tubes like I have from AH
Supply?  I replaced an old burned out ballast with an
electronic ballast called the UltraLux which has some
nice features.  I can use 4, 24 inch tubes up to 4, 96
inch tubes and the ballast supposedly adjusts to drive
them.  I am not an electrical wizard by any means. But
here is what they say on their web site:

http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com/UltraLux-Ballast.htm

   Operates any combination of lamps (T5, T8, T10, and
T12)
   Operates 1 to 4 lamps both 1 & 2 lamp or 3 & 4 lamp
120V, 50/60Hz
   Will work on lower voltage systems and is not
affected by brown outs.
   Operates as rapid start or instant start
   Operates multiple lamps from 25 up to 50 watts
(F20, F25, F30, F32, F40, F60 lamps) (2', 3', 4', 5'
lengths)
   And it's *dimmable down to 50% light level with an
inexpensive dimmer!

   I did call them and speak to them and got answers
that made me feel that this might solve my problems.
I am pleased with it driving my 4, 36 inch tubes.  But
I would like to convert or add some 36 watt or 55watt
compact florescents (the double tubed jobs).  Is there
any reason to believe that this ballast or any other
ballast that is designed for single tubes should not
be appropriate to drive compact florescents?  I have
asked this question before but never got an answer
from anyone.
Thanks, Diana