Re: disgusted with persistant algae

RMoore7167 at aol_com said-

<<Ive tried a few things and
nothing seems to help.  Im getting algae on the glass (very fine light green
scum plus a little green spot) I went on vacation for a week and a half and
now all my plants have a thick dark green mat of algae that rubs off pretty
easily.

The "very fine light green scum" algae is one of the easiest algaes to get
rid of. You'll have to live w/ the green spot algae. Almost everyone here
gets it. Try this -

1) Increase your kH levels a bit and then your CO2 levels slightly.
2) Put the micron filter in your HOT Magnum.
3) Scrape all the "dust algae" that you see. Do this as often as you can.
4) Take out the UV unit. This might be binding the Fe and therefore the
plants are iron limited.
5) Scrape all the "dust algae" that you see. Do this as often as you can.
6) Start to add that Potassium sulfate again.
7) Scrape all the "dust algae" that you see. Do this as often as you can.
8) Turn your temperature down to 76-78 deg.
9) Increase your photo-period to 10 - 12 hrs/day

I've gotten dust algae three times in the entire life of my planted aquarium.
Each time I attributed the bloom to drastic changes in water parameters (ie.
massive pruning session, neglected tank for a month, etc.). I noticed that
you went on vacation for a week and a half. Did you have someone fertilize
your tank during that time? Was the UV sterilizer running during that time?
Did you have a heat wave while you were gone? If you had the UV on, no
fertilization and had a heat wave then that is most likely the cause of your
dust algae. After using the above method for one week let the list know
what's going on w/ your tank.

Don D.

multipart/alternative
  text/html