Re: Lighting and Lux

Hi, Wright,

OK, I misapplied the inverse square "law", and there are other things in an
aquarium that interfere with the transmission of light energy, and there are
other variables, but, darn it, it is a fact that deep tanks are noticeably
darker at the bottom given the same watts per gallon as shallow tanks, and
some bottom dwelling plants that do fine in shallower tanks just don't make
it in deeper tanks.  I think we've all witnessed that.

What I would like to see would be a table that would quantify this
difference.  It wouldn't contain "thousands" of entries.   Maybe just about
100 cells.  In spreadsheet terms, column A would contain the distance in
inches from the light source, perhaps at four inch increments.  Across the
top would be the description of the light source, such as "Brand A, 20 watt,
one tube," "Brand A, 20 watt, 2 tubes," "Brand B . . .. ," etc.  For each of
the three or four depths the lux would be shown.

Perhaps other light source variables might be included, such as the
efficiency of the reflector ("high" or "regular").  Not all kinds of lights
would be need to be included.  I'd guess that no more than 100 spreadsheet
cells would be required.

So, Wright, I'll design the spreadsheet form and e-mail it to you, and you
can coordinate the gathering of the data.  Then as a group here we can
estimate the lux requirements of various plants and revolutionize the hobby!

How about that?

Bill