Re: Where did everyone go?

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Jeff Vamos wrote:

>Subject: where did everyone go?
>
>is there a new list that everyone is posting to or is
it just a slow month? I
>don't recognize too many regulars minus the sure things
( Tom B. Scott H.
>Paul in central Mississippi where their might be a
thunderstorm tonight).

>Jeff Vamos
>cessnabum1 at aol_com

Jeff, this appears to be the effects of the annual
phenomenon I call "Damn, summer's here and I have too
many other things to do to worry about anything aquarium
related."  I've noticed the aquarium hobby, in general,
and aquarium message boards, specifically, have an
obvious seasonal cycle.  As summer approaches, activity
on the message boards and in the chat rooms tends to
dwindle down to next to nothing.  Then, after summer
when the ambient outside temperature starts to drop and
people start coming back inside, you'll see a
significant increase in activity.  It happens every
year!  I came to grips with this phenomenon last year.
By the middle of the summer, my aquatic enthusiasm
dropped so low and my tank became the lowest priority on
my "to-do" list that I almost quit the hobby
altogether.  I was sure I had to be the worst aquatic
hobbyist in the world and my fish all hated me!  At one
point, I was ready to break down my tank and sell
everything at our yearly garage sale.  Until Tom B. and
others pointed out the signs of summer fever and
provided me with a few useful tips for getting through
the season.  Even my wife encouraged me not to give up,
which was REALLY surprising as she is the biggest
antagonist of my hobby.  Eventually, cooler weather
prevailed, and sure enough, my interests in all things
fish related were once again piqued.  Of course, by the
time winter rolled around, my wife was kicking herself
for encouraging me during the summer, as I decided I
wanted to completely replace my aquarium setup and go
all-out high tech!!!

Anyway, the point of my post is this temporary slowdown
in activity is just that... temporary!  Blame it on the
Summer doldrums.  Now, as warmer weather is finally upon
us, I find myself slacking in my aquatic
responsibilities.  However, from what I learned last
year, I have been able to brace my tank and its fishy
inhabitants for the season.  I spent the whole "active"
season obsessively caring for my tank and making sure it
was at the top of its performance.  Now, with my tank in
good shape, I should be able to "coast" through Summer
with basic maintenance.  All the while keeping in mind
that cooler temps will come again, and I'll be back on
the boards and into my tank in full force!

-Gamera