RE: Seachem Fluorish Excel

> Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 03:29:50 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Scott Hieber
>
> I can't seem to find much info on polycycloglutaracetal...
> I can't find any web reference to polycycloglutaracetal
> except as an ingredient in Excel.
>
> So, chemists, what's the difference between
> polycycloglutaracetal and a glucose?  a poly-anything
> doesn't actually sound like a simple compound,
> unless it's just a long repeating chain...
>
> ...what's the difference (or similarity) between
> polycycloglutaracetal and photosynthetic intermediates?

The base compound is the acetal, which is formed by adding alcohol molecules
to aldehyde molecules.

Glutaric aldehydes in general are used for disinfectants. They are also used
interchangeably with plant tannic extracts to cure gelatins for specialized
applications. Glutarals are carbon-hydrogen-oxygen compounds - C5H8O2 is the
dialdehyde.

Beginning to see the connections? It's often easier to start from the _back_
end of the name, working forward in chunks...

-Y-

David A. Youngker
nestor10 at mindspring_com