Re:The estimative index

Tom B wrote in April:

At issue here is the maintenance of the nutrient levels. The focus will be on
4 groups, nitrate(NO3), phosphate(PO4), potassium(K) and the trace elements
represented by iron(Fe) in a mixture with the other trace elements.Perhaps a
better question is how close to a good range of nutrients do we have to be to
have excellent plant growth and no algae?Using an "estimative index" the
accuracy can be as follows:(+ or -) 5ppm of CO2 is fine in a 20-30ppm
range.(+ or -)1ppm or so of NO3 is pretty reasonable.(+ or -)2ppm of K+ is
pretty reasonable.(+ or -) 0.2ppm of PO4 is pretty reasonable(?)(+ or -)
0.1ppm of Fe is reasonable(?)

I write:

My tank is doing well, thanks to this list, but I'm trying to get "optimal
growth". I think my main issue is NO3. I have a lamotte test kit but am still
curious if you need to multiply by 4.4 to get the correct reading. If this is
so, how can you have your NO3 range + or - 1 ppm? Is their a better kit to
have? I can tell between the 1 and 2 range, but that would mean 4.4 -8.8. Can
you clarify how to use the kit or what kit you use to be able to interprit
1ppm NO3?

Thanks
Jeff Vamos
cessnabum1 at aol_com