Re: Seachem Fluorish Excel

 Paul Krombholz, who may still be waiting for rain in his neighborhood,
quoted my queries and, in part, responded to one:

I had said:
> >How would it compare with C12H22O11, which presumably is a more
> complex
> >sugar.  Wouldn't that break down in a tank into simpler DOCs that
> are
> >as easily used as Excel?
> >
> >I'm not impugning Seachem and their line of fine plant products, I'm
> >just interested,

And Paul replied:

> I know a lot of people say it works, provided instructions are
> followed and
> overdosing is avoided.  I wonder how the plants get it without it
> stimulating the growth of a lot of bacteria that would cloud up the
> tank,
> and cover up the plants with slimy bacterial film.  Somehow there
> seems to
> be enough of it to stimulate plant growth without stimulating a lot
> of
> bacterial growth.  If you tried giving the plants glucose or sucrose,
> the
> bacteria would take over, I would think.
>
> Just interested, too,

I can't seem to find much info on polycycloglutaracetal (what Excel
contains and which, Dr. Morin pointed out, is *not* sucrose or
glucose).  It seems what those of us not affiliated with SeaChem know,
anecdotally, is that it doesn't harm tank inhabitants in prescribed
doses and seems to help (some or all?) aquatic plants.  It clouds water
(fosters bacteria or algae or both?) if overdosed.  Dr. Morin, in an
old post, reported that use by algae or bacteria was not an issue
*provided* that one didn't overdose the tank.  I can't find any web
reference to polycycloglutaracetal
except as an ingredient in Excel.

Maybe, like some N compounds, the plants get it too quickly for the
bacteria or algae to make much use of it -- but if you dose more than
your plants can use, your tank can turn on you quickly.

It can be used by plants like "relatively simple organic compounds
(such as photosynthetic intermediates)."

So, chemists, what's the difference between polycycloglutaracetal and a
glucose?  a poly-anything doesn't actually sound like a simple
compound, unless it's just a long repeating chain.

Anyhow, I still wonder if glucose/sucrose would not also be beneficial
if not used too much.  I am not anxious to pour the contents of a
breakfast cereal package or the sugar bowl (the world's highest sources
of sucrose  ;-)  ) into my tanks.  I'm really just wondering about the
polycycloglutaracetal and how it works.

Or for that matter, what's the difference (or similarity) between
polycycloglutaracetal and photosynthetic intermediates?

Scott H., who almost always longs for rain.